While the investigative authorities admitted a possibility that they may never find the missing girl, April Jones, intensified search operations continue. A total of 18 specialist search teams comprised of 100 officers are now carrying out the search for the five-year old child who disappeared last week.
It has been eight days now since April Jones went missing, but the police search does not yet cease. Police checkpoints and road blocks are still visible around the Machynlleth, Powys, in an effort to acquire further evidence that could lead to the victim’s reclamation.
Meanwhile, April’s family and friends have been advised to admit the fact that their five-year-old “sweet and innocent little girl” may no longer be coming back.
A church service was held in mid-Wales market, in Machynlleth town, to commemorate the missing five-year old kid. Everyone was emotional in the said event, which transpired several hours after the 46-year old Mark Bridger was charged for the child’s murder, exactly a week after the latter’s desertion.
Approximately 1,000 people walked in silence, from the place where the little girl was last seen down to St. Peter’s Church.
Loyalty and exceptional determination of the hundreds of people, who took part in the search, were greatly appreciated by the Bishop of Bangor, Right Rev. Andy John. He told everyone in and out of the church that their efforts have touched many people from around the world. He also extended a heartfelt gratitude to everyone who have participated and helped in the hunt for April.
The little girl’s parents however did not attend the service.
Her 40-year old mother, Cora and 43-year old father Paul Jones are still grieving for their loss. Yet still, a direct message was given by the bishop to them. Bishop John has pledged that both of them will overcome this test, with compassion and care given by their neighbours from the very start. The bishop added that even without the cameras, caring folks will still be there for April’s family.
Court hearing instigates
Meanwhile, the suspect of April’s disappearance has already been identified and arrested by the authorities. A local man named Mark Bridger made his first court appearance recently, in which he was charged with murder of the missing little girl.
Mr. Bridger, a former abattoir worker and former friend of Jones family, was also emotional when he made his first attendance in the first trial held at the small, newly built court in the marina. In an effort to fight back tears, the 46-year old accused bit his lip and gazed at the ceiling while the court clerk outlined three charges set against him, all associated with April Jones’ disappearance and murder.
Among those who were present at the venue include April’s godmother, Mair Raftree, who was also poignant when the prison van arrived. The court has reserved three seats for April’s family but they were too hysterical to attend.
As the session wrapped up, both the district court crown prosecutor and the chairman of the magistrates’ bench had agreed to refer the case to Caernarfon Crown Court, near Anglesey.
Mr. Bridger will appear in the second court session via video-link on Wednesday.
Superintendent Ian John of Dyfed-Powys Police said they would scale down the mountain rescue searches and will concentrate on the town’s zone. He added that there may be some changes in resources but not on the intensity of the operation, as they remain focused and committed to their main goal, which is to find April.
On the other hand, an abandoned quarry in Ceinws, half-a-mile from the house of Mr Bridger is now closed and considered a “crime scene.” The police spokesperson however did not provide further information about the condition.